Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Adventures of a Gym Rat

Before my diagnosis of kidney failure, I was very into going to the gym. I had gotten a membership at Planet Fitness for $20 a month, which was the "Black Card" membership meaning I had access to ALL the gym locations, free unlimited tanning and the ability to bring a guest whenever I liked. I went about three to four days a week and felt fabulous about it. After the anemia hit me however, I couldn't get enough oxygen to my muscles in addition to being severely exhausted all the time. They were kind enough to put my account on hold for three months so that I wouldn't have to pay the fees while I was otherwise incapacitated. So now, roughly five months later I have returned to the fitness fold.

 Holy crap was it brutal. You don't realize til you get on that treadmill how much of a toll being sedentary for five to six months can be. Exercises I used to perform perfectly are now a struggle. Namely, staying on a stability ball. Anyways, I've decided to track my progress via weight and body measurements. Obviously, I'm not trying to lose weight here. When working out regularly my weight hovered around 125lbs. Now I weigh 120lbs and I have more chub. Silly muscle converting to fat. I tried to get myself back into it about a month ago just by walking Zoe, which has been going well because I now have no pain when my new kidney gets jostled from my walking. I'll share new measurements, workouts I use, and other info as time goes on.

1 comment: