Apparently the doctors did not put in the BiVad device til Wednesday. It will really help her heart become stronger. As it stands now, even if there was a heart available they could not transplant her because she is so weak. They'll close her up today and hopefully things will start to turn around for her. I was really distraught that her chest was open for over a day, but the reasoning is that if there is a bleeding problem, they don't have to open her up again. Thankfully she has been sedated since Friday for the most part. I feel awful for when they do bring her up from consciousness, she won't know how much has happened since she was last aware. I'm so grateful that she is still alive. She lost a lot of blood during the surgery and had a large amount of transfusions. She is one hell of a fighter. I can't wait to be able to speak with and see her again. She is a well-loved girl.
On my end of things, my creatinine is still on the high side (1.8 was the last result) so I went in for a kidney biopsy yesterday. I was really nervous because I had never done one before and I also had prior experience with heart biopsies that sort of set me up to think it was worse than it was. It was actually really funny, Dr. Jai was performing an ultrasound to mark out a spot and he started to look concerned, finally asking me "who was your donor again?" I told him it was my brother. He paused for a few seconds and said, "How BIG is your brother?! This kidney is EVERYWHERE." When I told him Jordan was 6'4" we both started to laugh, he said he probably didn't even need the ultrasound, that he could just pick a spot and hit kidney. So all in all it wasn't too bad. The Lydocaine was the same as usual (stinging and burning) but thankfully felt nothing after that, unlike a heart biopsy. It was very quick. The instrument he used to get the pieces actually reminded me of a staple gun both in how it operated and what it sounded like. The worst part was lying prone for 4 hours, but I could move around more than if I had had an annual done in my groin.
As far as why my creatinine is all over the place, Dr. Jai suspects that it is because of the narrowing of the connection between the artery and kidney. It is narrowed because of the sutures they use to connect the two. Sometimes it affects function, sometimes now. The biopsy is just because they want to be able to cross off rejection as a possibility. So today I will get those results.
In the meantime, one of my wisdom teeth is acting up and it KILLS. Made an appointment for Monday to get examined by the surgeon.
No comments:
Post a Comment