Thursday, May 19, 2011

Psychology: Want to be a vampire's friend? Buy the book!


Confused? C.S Lewis said it best:

"We read to know we are not alone."

A study done by the University of Buffalo encompasses two things I'm passionate about: psychology and reading. It will be published in the journal Psychological Science, associated with the APA (American Psychological Assocation). Essentially, the study looks at how reading can expand our self-concepts. While a book may not be able to hold our hand or dry our tears, we still feel a human connection. When we read, we psychologically become part of the community described in the narrative, whether that be vampires or wizards. It certainly would explain the appeal of Twilight for some (but by no means excuses it).

The data from 140 undergraduate studies were collected. First, the participants were assessed on the extent to which they meet their needs for connection by identifying with groups. Next, some of the participants read a passage from Twilight while the others read a passage from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. After 30 minutes had elapsed to read the passage, there were two measures given to gauge the participants' psychological association with vampires or wizards. students were instructed to categorize—as quickly and accurately as possible—“me” words (myself, mine) and “wizard” words (broomstick, spell, wand, potions) by pressing the same key when any of those words flashed on the screen; they pressed another key for “not-me” words (they, theirs) and “vampire” words (blood, fangs, bitten, undead).  Then the pairs were reversed. Gabriel and Young expected participants to respond more quickly when “me” words were linked with a group to which “me” belonged, depending on which book they read.

Next, the researchers administered what they called the Twilight/Harry Potter Narrative Collective Assimilation Scale, consisting of questions indicating identification with wizards or vampires. Examples: “Do you think you might be able to make yourself disappear and reappear somewhere else?” and “How sharp are your teeth?” Finally, short questionnaires assessed participants’ life satisfaction and mood.

As predicted, the Harry Potter readers associated themselves more with wizards and the Twilight readers more with vampires. Also, the readers that were more group-oriented showed the largest assimilation effects. "Belonging" to these fictional communities delivered the same mood & life satisfaction that people get from real-life groups. Ultimately, it shows how reading can fulfill a deep psychological need as well as working for education and escapism.

--from Psychological Science

3 comments:

  1. I wish they had used a book other than Twilight - in a way, it legitimizes a terrible and, quite frankly, harmful series. I wish they had used some other vampire related series, like the Sookie Stackhouse books.

    Overall, though, I totally get everything about this, and it all makes sense and explains why I love reading so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Twilight. I don't understand why so many great sci-fi/fantasy books get banned and this shit stays on the shelves. Have you read the Sookie books or watched True Blood? I was debating starting up on them when I'm done with the Dresden Files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Sookie books! I'm reading the latest one right now.

    The Dresden Files is one of my favorite series, though I think I prefer the Codex Alera a little bit more - I enjoy high fantasy slightly more than urban fantasy.

    ReplyDelete