Monday, September 5, 2011

My Growing Vinyl Toy Collection


I wanted to share my growing collection of designer vinyl toys that I've accumulated over the last year or so. I have to use pictures from the internet because I do not have a camera of my own at the moment (that works, anyway). All of these toys are in what they call "blind boxes". Meaning, you don't know which toy you are going to get. The companies release the toys in series, where they have all sorts of different styles that are possible to get, including a few "chaser" ones (these are the rare pieces). They're a lot of fun, and cheap! I love that it's a surprise which one you are going to get. The downside is that sometimes you'll end up getting a duplicate of something you've already bought. My first encounter with these was in a Newbury Comics store up in Vermont. I got two Smorkin' Labbits, ones from series 4: the 80s one and the red colored one. They're made by Kid Robot and stand 1.5" tall.


Cute right? Kid Robot also makes a 10" version of the Labbit, but they are all white. However, they come with different accessory packs. Kyle bought me one for my birthday, turns out it was the redneck version (thanks Kyle!). At least that's what I call it. I think technically it is called Pack A. But I digress. My favorite accessory is definitely the corn cob pipe, with the whiskey bottle as a close second. I named him Quincy and stuck him on the right side of the dashboard in my car. Driving buddy ftw.

As I have mentioned earlier, I was in Cape Cod during early August. One day we had decided to go to the local mall since it was a crappy day out and lo and behold, they had a Newbury Comics store! I dragged Michelle in and went straight to the blind box section. I found, much to my delight, unicorn blind boxes! They're made by tokidoki, stand at 2.5" tall and had just been released in February. I was stoked. I only bought one and ended up with Stellina:

When we got back to the house I immediately sent a picture over to Kyle (who was of course, extremely jealous). So when I got home, we took a trip up to Manchester where they had a Newbury Comics store, the only one in Connecticut. I bought two more Unicornos and a Cactus Pup, which is also made by tokidoki. These little guys only stand at 1" tall. Anyways, I got another Stellina (which I promptly gave to Kyle) and Ritmo!

And really, who doesn't love a Rastafarian unicorn? Lastly is the Cactus Pup Malandrino, with his skull buddy. All of the Cactus Pups come with small accessories (water bowls, toys, skulls, etc.). Very cute.

Angry looking little guy, isn't he?

That's all I have for now, I'm looking forward to getting more as time goes on.

1 comment:

  1. The bunnies are entirely too cute for their own good. I still feel that the cactus pup is going to beat up the others when you aren't around.

    ReplyDelete